May 16, 2023
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
This territory will be responsible for covering New Jersey and Delaware and location for the successful candidate to reside would be in the Greater East Hanover or Princeton area.
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) role is a field based, customer-facing, non-promotional medical and scientific position. The MSL’s key objective is to create impact through advancing clinical practice within the assigned territory that leads to improved patient outcomes. The MSL must demonstrate deep therapeutic expertise, understand territory and market influences, engage
scientifically with Healthcare Providers (HCPs) and medical experts, manage, and develop their territory and execute all relevant activities in alignment with the medical strategic and tactical plan – while functioning within the Novartis Code of Conduct, Ethics/Compliance policies and Working Practice documents. The MSL will Inform and shape medical strategy through application of a curious mindset to collect impactful and actionable insights, understanding the potential strategic impact of critical insights.
Role Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• The MSL will leverage scientific expertise and market knowledge to establish and build professional relationships and engage with HCPs (including community physicians, pharmacists, medical experts, nurses, and other healthcare professionals) and other thought leaders in geographical area as aligned with medical strategy
• The primary responsibility of the MSL is to engage with customers - customer engagements may include but are not limited to: emerging data discussions, clinical trial activities, uncovering barriers in patient journey, understanding market dynamics within their territory, exploration of areas of unmet medical need, pipeline discussions, educating on disease state and product, capturing adverse events, and capturing medical insights through all stages of product lifecycle.
• Must demonstrate strategic territory vision and ensure appropriate territory identification, mapping, and planning of Medical Engagements (MEs) and Key Accounts as aligned to medical strategy and in collaboration with internal Novartis colleagues. This includes:
a. identification of key stakeholders with influence on the patient journey and in the disease space throughout the
product development lifecycle to establish strategies for education, engagement, and partnership
b. identification of opportunities for partnership with academic centers, centers of excellence, and/or systems of care to drive impact within the assigned territory
c. identification of opportunities to involve HCPs or MEs when a specific medical need is identified (e.g.,
publications, clinical trial participation, etc.)
d. identification of opportunities for internal collaboration with other Novartis stakeholders to drive forward therapeutic area, clinical, or product goals as appropriate
• Provide clinical trial support for company sponsored trials facilitating relevant medical activities and working crossfunctionally with Medical Affairs and Clinical Operations colleagues.
• Regularly and effectively collaborates with internal colleagues (e.g., HEOR, access, marketing, commercial, sales) within the assigned therapeutic area and territory to advance clinical practice while maintaining customer centricity and a One Novartis approach in accordance with Novartis compliance standards.
• Maintain in-depth knowledge of assigned therapeutic area and Novartis compounds to serve as a medical resource to customers and internal colleagues (in accordance with Working Practice Documents).
• Maintain in-depth knowledge of internal policies and external regulations (e.g., field medical Working Practice
Document (WPD), travel policy, expense policy, state and local laws, institutional policies) and how they affect day-today responsibilities.
• Execute all administrative responsibilities and training (e.g., Veeva CRM, voicemail, e-mail, expense reports,
compliance modules, etc.) in a timely manner, including profiling of core customers and ensuring up-to-date information in the CRM.
• Champion emerging responsibilities as strategic priorities and territory needs evolve
• Proactively drive personal and professional development.
• The MSL must conduct themselves with the highest ethical standards and adhere to Novartis Code of Conduct, comply with all relevant laws and regulations and Novartis Ethics, Risk & Compliance policies, and procedures.
• Must conduct themselves with highest ethical standards and adhere to Novartis Code of Conduct. Comply with all relevant state and federal laws and regulations and Novartis Ethics, Risk & Compliance and other company policies, and procedures, and ensure others around him/her do the same.
• Works to ensure a diverse and inclusive environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment.
• Field-Based (NYC & Long Island). Candidate must reside within territory, or within a reasonable daily commuting distance of 50 miles from territory border.
• The expectation of working hours and travel (domestic and/or international) will be defined by the hiring manager
• Field based, customer-facing position majority of the time with approximately 60-70% travel required to achieve performance and business objectives (face to face, virtual, email, telephone, etc.). Must have a valid driver’s license
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between; for manager: $151,200 - $226,800 for AD: $174,400 -$261,600 annually; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you will bring to the role:
Graduate degree in science or healthcare required; doctoral degree preferred (MD, PhD, DNP, PharmD, etc)
Strong clinical knowledge including pharmacotherapy, treatment guidelines, clinical research processes, medical expert engagement strategies, and FDA promotional guidelines, regulations, and ethical guidelines applied to the pharmaceutical industry is required.
Experience MSL, Manager - level:
• 0-3 years of experience in a Field Medical position within the pharmaceutical industry or as an MSL is required OR
• 3-5 years of relevant medical affairs, clinical research, or related experience in a scientific or clinical setting
preferred. Previous experience in assigned or related therapeutic area is preferred.
MSL, Associate Director - level:
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a Field Medical-based position within the pharmaceutical industry or as an MSL
is preferred OR
• 5-7 years of relevant medical affairs, clinical research, or related experience in a scientific or clinical setting
required. Previous experience in assigned or related therapeutic area is preferred.
NOTE: Above level experience criteria are not an exhaustive list
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [emailprotected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Customer-facing roles only:
While Novartis does not require vaccination for Covid-19 or proof of a recent negative test result for Covid-19 at this time, employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere to and comply with customers’ (such as hospitals, physician offices, etc.) credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination. As required by applicable law, Novartis will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. This requirement is subject to applicable state and local laws and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions. Please send accommodation requests to [emailprotected].
Field roles with a dedicated training period only:
The individual hired for this role will be required to successfully complete certain initial training, including home study, in eight (8) or fewer hours per day and forty (40) or fewer hours per week
East Hanover, NJ
Research & Development