Expats said they found it extremely easy to get settled in in Mexico and are happy with their personal finances. (Representational image: Sydney Rae via Unsplash)
In 2022, Mexico was the best place for expats, followed by Indonesia and Taiwan, according to the Internations Expat Insider 2022 Report. Of the 52 countries surveyed for the Internations report, Hong Kong, New Zealandand Kuwait were the worst places for expats. The USA is ranked 14, Canada 23 while the UK is a rank lower than India at 37.
The Expat Insider 2022 survey, conducted by InterNations, ran from February 1-28, 2022.The survey took views from11,970 expats, representing 177 nationalities and living in 181 countries or territories.
Top 10 Countries for Expats (according to Expat Insider ranking):
1. Mexico: Expats find it extremely easy to get settled in Mexico and are happy with their personal finances.
2. Indonesia: Expats in Indonesia find it easy to get settled in but are unhappy with the low quality of life.
- Immigration Central | What to do if you're on an H-1B Visa and lose your job in the US?
- Immigration Central | Costly Portugal, New Zealand's new visa, Canada and Hong Kong to attract talen...
- Immigration central: From EB-1 to EB-5 visa, 5 employment-based visa categories to work in the US
3. Taiwan: Expats are particularly happy with the high quality of life, the ease of settling in, and their personal finances.
4. Portugal: Expats enjoy the high quality of life, find it easy to settle in, and are happy with their personal finances.
5. Spain: Expats are extremely happy with the quality of life and find it easy to get settled in.
6. UAE: Expats love the quality of living and their working life, but struggle with their finances.
7. Vietnam: Expats find it very easy to get settled in but struggle with the local language and the environment.
8. Thailand: Finance and leisure options are no trouble for expats, but they struggle with their working life.
9. Australia: Expats love the environment, business culture, and employment prospects.
10. Singapore: Expats love the transit options and career opportunities with no language barriers.
Bottom 10 Countries for Expats (according to Expat Insider ranking):
52. Kuwait: Kuwait not only ranks last in the Expat Insider 2022 survey overall, but also in the bottom 10 of each index.
51. New Zealand: New Zealand (51st) is the worst-performing country in the Personal Finance Index (52nd): 49% of respondents claim their disposable household income is not enough to lead a comfortable life.
50. Hong Kong: Among the bottom 10 in the Personal Finance Index (44th), and 68% of people surveyed said they are unhappy with the general cost of living.
49. Cyprus: Expats are particularly dissatisfied with their personal career opportunities.
48. Luxembourg: Expats’ money does not go a long way in Luxembourg (51st).
47. Japan: Dissatisfied with their working hours and work-life balance. Additionally, 63% do not agree that the local business culture encourages creativity and thinking outside the box.
46. South Africa: 25% rate their overall job satisfaction negatively. South Africa also does not impress with its job security or local job market.
45. Turkey: Last place (52nd) in the Salary & Job Security Subcategory and Work & Leisure (52nd).
44. Italy: Expats in Italy are not paid fairly for their work, and nearly half (45%) are unhappy with the job market in Italy.
43. Malta: Travel & Transit is an issue for expats in Malta (49th), so is Environment & Climate (50th).
Quality of life:
The top 5 countries are on this parameter are: Spain, Taiwan, Austria, Portugal and the UAE.
Rating factors: Travel & Transit, Environment & Climate, Leisure Options, Health & Well-Being, and Safety & Security.
Taiwan is the undisputed winner when it comes to Health & Well-Being. Expats love Austriaparticularly in matters of Travel & Transit. The UAE, the only Middle Eastern destination in the top 10, is loved for its Leisure Options (3rd) and Travel & Transit (5th).
India ranks low in the Quality of Life Index: India is at the bottom 10 spot for all subcategories except Health & Well-Being (19th). The expats rated India as the worst country worldwide for air quality (52nd). They are also dissatisfied with their safety, both in general (48th) and when trying to get around on foot or by bike (51st). 33% rate the availability of public transit options negatively and 55% are dissatisfied with the infrastructure for cars.
Ease of Settling In:
Top 5 countries are: Mexico, Indonesia, Philippines, Brazil, Oman.
Rating factors: Local Friendliness, Finding Friends, Culture & Welcome
Mexico is the uncontested winner here, placing first for each rating factor. Indonesia also has a very strong performance in all three subcategories.The Philippines does especially well with regard to Finding Friends.
Kuwait (52nd) comes last in the Ease of Settling In Index, with Norway and Sweden in the Bottom 3.
Top 5 countries are: Denmark, Australia, Ireland, Netherlands, UAE.
Seven out of the top 10 countries in the index are located in Europe. Asian countries make up 4 of the bottom 10 destinations in the index.
Denmark is popular for its work-life balance and working hours. Expats in Australia and Ireland are happy with the local job market. Although Ireland places 3rd in the Working Abroad Index - 68% expats in Ireland rate the local job market positively. An even higher share (72%) rates the personal career opportunities positively (vs. 58% globally). Nearly 74% of expats in Ireland agree that moving to the country has improved their prospects (vs. 60% globally).
Estonia (6th) particularly impresses expats with its local business culture and everyone loves Belgium’s job security. For 35% of the expats in Greece, moving to the country has not improved their career prospects and expats in Italy are not paid fairly for their work.
Turkey, Kuwait, and the Philippines make up the bottom 3 of the index. Kuwait ranks 51st in the Working Abroad Index and last overall. Expats are especially unhappy with the business culture in Kuwait, landing it in last place in the Work Culture & Satisfaction Subcategory (52nd).
Rating factors: Digital life, Admin Topics, Housing, Language
Top 5 counties are: Bahrain, UAE, Singapore, Estonia, Oman.
Bahrain makes life abroad convenient regarding language and admin topics. The UAE shows very similar strengths. Singapore impresses expats with its Digital Life & Language - it is the best-rated country for high-speed internet access at home.
All Gulf States, except for Kuwait, make it into the top 10. Six of the bottom 10 destinations for Expat Essentials are located in Europe. Germany, Japan, and China make some of the basics very hard for expats to sort out. Vietnam is the only Southeast Asian destination in the bottom 10. Vietnam performs very poorly for Language (47th), Digital Life (49th), and Admin Topics (51st) but ranks in the top 5 for Housing (5th).
Top 5 countries are: Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Vietnam.
Worst countries for housing are: Sweden, Netherlands, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Ireland.
India is ranked 18 in this Expat Essential Subcategory.
How do other countries fare (according to Internations Expat Insider 2022 Report):
• USA: Expats love the career prospects and work culture but worry about the affordability of healthcare.
• Switzerland: The country offers expats a high standard of living, but expats need to brace themselves for a hard time settling in.
• Germany: The country does well for working abroad, but expats struggle with settling in and disappointing digital services.
• South Africa: Expats are particularly unhappy with the Quality of Life (43rd) and Working Abroad (46th).
• Hong Kong: Expats struggle with their finances, political stability, and environmental issues.
• Sweden: Expats are very satisfied with their working experience but find it quite hard to find friends.
• Ireland: Expats enjoy their working life, but healthcare, housing, and their personal finances are major issues.
• The UK: Expats find it rewarding to work there but are unhappy with their personal finances.
• Norway: Expats enjoy their working life, as well as the above-average quality of life in general, but they struggle hard with settling in.
• China: Expats are happy with their personal finances but dissatisfied with the digital life and business culture.
• Finland: Expats get a pristine environment, a high level of digitisation, and a great work-life balance, but they face major issues with settling in.
• Denmark: The country’s great results for working abroad and the quality of life are canceled out by the high living expenses and the difficulties with settling in.
• Austria: The country receives stellar results in the Quality of Life Index but other factors, especially those related to settling in, impact its placement.
• The Netherlands: Expats love their working life but are put off by high living expenses and difficulties settling in.
Which is the best country to migrate in 2022? ›
- Canada. Permanent Residence:
- New Zealand. Permanent Residence:
- Australia. Permanent Residence: In-demand Digital Marketing Skills.
- Germany. Permanent Residence:
- United States of America. Permanent Residence: ...
- Singapore. Permanent Residence:
In the Expat City Ranking 2022, the top 3 destinations — Valencia, Dubai, and Mexico City — all do very well when it comes to the ease of settling in. Among the bottom 3, on the other hand, financial concerns and administrative hurdles make life abroad difficult.What is the easiest country for a US citizen to move to? ›
Which are the easiest countries to immigrate to from the US? Portugal, Malta and Spain are some of the easiest countries to relocate to from the United States. American citizens can either gain permanent residency or apply for citizenships via each country's Citizenship by Invest programs.Which country gives fastest permanent residency? ›
New Zealand: The Easiest Country to get Permanent Residency
Young Westerners can travel to New Zealand for a year on a “working holiday” visa. If your one-year period is up, you can apply for a new visa or leave the country.
The country has a skilled migration program that makes it easier for people to immigrate. However, to move to the destination, criteria such as having an age limit under 55 and work experience are mandatory.
So, where do American expats go? The majority of U.S. citizens living abroad can be found in our neighboring countries of Canada and Mexico. That being said, hundreds of thousands of Americans have successfully ventured to faraway countries such as the Phillipines, Italy, and South Korea.What is the best country to be a US expat? ›
The best destination to live as an expat in 2022? Mexico is the winner, with 91% of expats saying they are happy with their life South of the Border. Drilling down, Mexico ranks first for the ease of settling in and second for personal finances. But there are some drawbacks.Where is the best place for American expats to retire? ›
In order of top to bottom, the following top 10 countries to retire abroad include Portugal, Mexico, Panama, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Spain, Greece, France, Italy, and Thailand.Which country is number 1 in expats? ›
1. Mexico. Settling in is easy in Mexico and expats here are happy with their personal finances. Mexico tops the list for local friendliness, finding friends, and culture.Which country has the happiest expats? ›
What is the friendliest country for expats? ›
- Portugal. Portugal prides itself on being on the top spot mainly because 94% of expats believe that the locals have a friendly attitude towards foreign visitors. ...
- Taiwan. ...
- Mexico. ...
- Cambodia. ...
- Bahrain. ...
- Costa Rica. ...
- Oman. ...
- Canada. If you have your heart set on living in North America but don't qualify for any visas in the United States, their neighbor to the North might be a good choice for you. ...
- France. ...
- The Caribbean. ...
- Spain. ...
- Mexico. ...
- Croatia. ...
Austria, Belgium, Ecuador, Belize and Costa Rica, countries where you can get citizenship and work visas easily of you have an Indian passport. Travel Tips, Immigration with Indian Passport: There are many countries in the world who give citizenship of their country if you have the passport of India and some documents.What is the best country to relocate to from the US? ›
But there are many more: check our Best countries to move from the USA list. Greece, Cyprus, Andorra, Portugal, the Caribbean and Malta are among the most favourable places for US expats.What is the easiest European country to immigrate to from the US? ›
What make Portugal the easiest country in Europe to gain citizenship is that there are no physical presence requirements. Meaning you only need to hold your resident permit in order to qualify for naturalization. You don't need to spend most of the year in the country like most other countries.
Mexico is the easiest and lowest cost residency visa period. Mexico also the most popular country with about 10 times more visas issued to US citizens than any other.Which European country gives permanent residency easily? ›
GREECE. One of the cheapest residency programs, with minimal financial investments needed, the permanent residency program offered by Greece, is one of the cheapest as compared to other European residency programs.Which country welcomes immigrants the most? ›
- New Zealand.
- United Kingdom.
- United States.
- Sweden. #1 in Quality of Life. #5 in Best Countries Overall. ...
- Denmark. #2 in Quality of Life. #10 in Best Countries Overall. ...
- Canada. #3 in Quality of Life. ...
- Switzerland. #4 in Quality of Life. ...
- Norway. #5 in Quality of Life. ...
- Finland. #6 in Quality of Life. ...
- Germany. #7 in Quality of Life. ...
- Netherlands. #8 in Quality of Life.
Singapore is another country that gives easy work visas to Indians, irrespective of whether they are graduates or self-employed. Moreover, it contains the world's largest financial centres.
What is the safest country for an American to move to? ›
Singapore. 1) Denmark tops the list as the safest country in the world. It has a low crime rate and there's almost no risk of natural disaster. People enjoy access to high-quality healthcare, with the country spending over the European Union average – 10.1% of gross domestic product (GDP).Which European country is best for American expats? ›
If you can handle the cold, Germany and the Netherlands are two of the most popular countries for expats, both offering international communities and unique residency options. Switzerland: Although many European countries offer a better quality of life than the U.S., Switzerland takes the cake.What states are best for expats? ›
The easy states for expats are those that don't have an individual income tax to begin with. This includes Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming.What is the cheapest country for an American to move to? ›
- South Africa.
- Costa Rica.
If you are a U.S. citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the U.S. as long as you are eligible for them.What countries do not tax US retirement income? ›
- Panama. Panama tops most lists of the best countries to retire in, and there are good reasons for that. ...
- Costa Rica. ...
- Portugal. ...
- Ecuador. ...
- Greece. ...
- Belize. ...
- Nicaragua. ...
- The Philippines.
Eight states have no income tax whatsoever, which means that retirement benefits — including Social Security retirement benefits — remain untouched by the state taxman. Let's start with the eight states that have no income tax whatsoever: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.Is USA a good country for expats? ›
Pro: You get to follow the American Dream!
The US is still the land of opportunity and still ranks as one of the most desirable countries in the world to move to. The US offers great career opportunities, an unparalleled lifestyle and one of the highest standards of living in the world – all in a beautiful environment.
Europe has long been a popular destination for Americans, and recent years have seen an increase in US residents making a move to relocate permanently across the pond.What is the easiest country to become an expat? ›
- Mexico. Working in Mexico.
- Czechia. Working in Czechia.
- United Arab Emirates. Being an expat in the United Arab Emirates.
- Qatar. Working in Qatar.
Where is the easiest place for an American to live in Europe? ›
Portugal consistently tops lists of the best places for expats to live, and in fact, the number of Americans living in Portugal rose 45% in 2021, according to government data.Which country treats immigrants best? ›
Having garnered a reputation for being one of the most welcoming countries for immigrants and being ranked as one of the most liveable places in the world, Canada is definitely the best and easiest country to immigrate to.What are the best and worst countries for expats? ›
In 2022, Mexico was the best place for expats, followed by Indonesia and Taiwan, according to the Internations Expat Insider 2022 Report. Of the 52 countries surveyed for the Internations report, Hong Kong, New Zealand and Kuwait were the worst places for expats.How can I leave the US permanently? ›
If you're planning to move out of the US permanently, or even give up your US citizenship, then you need a second passport. You can move to certain countries for 5 years and then apply for citizenship, or you can buy a passport and have it in hand in 90 days to 8 months.What countries pay you to become a citizen? ›
Many countries worldwide offer citizenship by investment programs, including but not limited to Spain, Portugal, Malta, Greece, Vanuatu, Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, and Dominica, among others.What is the most powerful passport? ›
According to the 2023 Henley Passport Index, Japan is the world's most powerful passport. This month, the International Air Transport Association released the 2023 Henley Passport Index, which reveals the world's most powerful passports.Which are the 5 hardest countries for obtaining citizenship? ›
Austria, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, and the United States are five nations that make it especially difficult for foreigners to establish permanent residency or obtain citizenship.What is the cheapest and safest country to move to? ›
- Costa Rica.
6 July 2021
- Dubai. ...
- Singapore. ...
- Switzerland. ...
- Hong Kong. ...
- Canada. #1 in A good job market. #3 in Best Countries Overall. ...
- Germany. #2 in A good job market. ...
- United Kingdom. #3 in A good job market. ...
- United States. #4 in A good job market. ...
- Australia. #5 in A good job market. ...
- Japan. #6 in A good job market. ...
- Switzerland. #7 in A good job market. ...
- Sweden. #8 in A good job market.
What country has the best quality of life 2022? ›
For the fifth time, Switzerland claimed the No. 1 spot, with Germany coming in at No. 2, followed by Canada at No. 3.Which country is best to migrate in 2023? ›
- Table of contents.
- Canada Immigration process:
- USA Immigration process:
- Australia Immigration Process:
- Singapore Immigration Process:
- UK Immigration Process:
- New Zealand Immigration Process:
- Germany Immigration Process:
- Guyana. Average growth 2022-2026: 25.8% Guyana will be by far the fastest-growing economy over the next few years. ...
- Macao. Average growth 2022-2026: 11.9% ...
- Fiji. Average growth 2022-2026: 7.7% ...
- Niger. Average growth 2022-2026: 7.6% ...
- Libya. Average growth 2022-2026: 6.9%
- Great for seasonal work: New Zealand.
- Great for jobs in research and academia: The Netherlands.
- Great for teaching English (TEFL): South Korea.
- Great for work exchanges: Australia.
- Great for engineering jobs: Germany.
- Great for tourism industry jobs: Brazil.
- Great for trainees: Denmark.
Employment rate in the European Union in 2022, by country.
These Are the 10 Best Countries in the World, According to U.S. News & World Report:
- United States.
- United Kingdom.
1. French Polynesia. The friendliest country in the world according to you, our readers, is French Polynesia, a collection of more than 100 islands in the South Pacific.What country to move to from USA? ›
But there are many more: check our Best countries to move from the USA list. Greece, Cyprus, Andorra, Portugal, the Caribbean and Malta are among the most favourable places for US expats.What are the 5 fastest growing countries? ›
The fastest growing economies – 2030 predictions
According to projections, by 2030 the economies of China, Vietnam, Uganda, Indonesia, and India will have registered the fastest growth.
Which countries has best future? ›
- United Kingdom. GDP per capita, Purchasing Power Parity in 2021: $49,675.3. ...
- France. GDP per capita, Purchasing Power Parity in 2021: $50,728.7. ...
- Canada. GDP per capita, Purchasing Power Parity in 2021: $52,085.0. ...
- Finland. ...
- Australia. ...
- Germany. ...
- Austria. ...
What is the safest place to live in the world?
- New Zealand.
- Czech Republic.