Like, share, subscribe, retweet, react.
This is the manifest of social media.
But here’s the interesting thing.
Do you actually know the answer to how much time do people spend on social media?
What about the average time spent on social media?
Carry on, then.
The information you seek is right in front of you.
- The average US adult spends 38 minutes per day on Facebook.
- 16-24-year-olds spend a median of 3 hours a day on social media.
- Internet users spend an average of 2 hours and 22 minutes per day on social networking in 2019.
- The average daily time spent on social in 2018 was 142 minutes a day.
- By 2021, more than 3 billion people are expected to be on social media.
- Projections for social media use estimates the average adult will spend 6 years and 8 months of their life on social media.
- Facebook has 1.4 billion active users on a daily basis.
1. People spent 135 minutes per day on social media in 2017.
- In 2016, users spent 126 minutes per day on social media.
- It’s estimated that we spend 153 minutes per day on social media in 2019.
- In 2012, the average was 90 minutes daily.
Time spent on social media has increased over the last years. In fact, each year we are investing more and more of our time being online on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.
In just seven years’ time, we went from spending 90 minutes per day on social media to spending around 153 minutes on it. At this rate, we will pretty soon be giving 3 hours of social media time every day.
It makes you wonder what we were doing before that.
2. US adults use media for an average of 12 hours and 9 minutes per day.
- South America is the continent where social media time is the highest – 3 hours and 29 minutes.
- People in Europe spend an average of 1 hour and 53 minutes on social media.
- North Americans use social media for around 2 hours and 6 minutes daily.
- In Asia, the usage of social media is 2 hours and 16 minutes daily.
- Africans utilize social media for 3 hours and 10 minutes a day.
Social media has set the world on fire. Adults in Africa and South America appear to be the most addicted, spending more than 3 hours on social media every day.
The average social media use in Europe is the lowest – a little less than 2 hours daily. There has been a significant increase in time spent on social media in certain countries since 2017. The Philippines, UAE, and Saudi Arabia, to name a few.
Question time: How much time do people spend on social media per day?
In 2019, the average amount of time spent on social media is 2 hours and 22 minutes per day.
3. People aged 16 to 24 spend the most time on social media – 3 hours and 1 minute daily.
(Source: Digital Information World)
- 55-64-year-olds’ average time on social media is 1 hour and 13 minutes.
- Adults of ages between 25 and 34 use social media for 2 hours and 37 minutes each day.
- 35 to 44-year people spend 2 hours and 4 minutes of social media time.
- The average time spent on social media for people aged between 45 and 54 is 1 hour and 39 minutes.
Logic dictates the younger generations spend the most time on social media. So, in case you’re wondering: how much time do millennials spend on social media – the quick answer is around 2 hours and 30 minutes. Meanwhile, 59% of Gen Z-ers admit they couldn’t go a single day without texting. If you have younger kids and worry they spend too much time online, there are software pieces designed to solve that issue.
Still, time spent on social media by age also indicates older generations enjoy scrolling through Facebook and Twitter, as well.
4. Facebook has more than 2.2 billion active users in 2019.
- On average, users spend 58 minutes per day on Facebook.
- 300 million photos are uploaded on the platform every day.
- 8 billion videos are being viewed on Facebook daily.
- Over 300 million Facebook users play Facebook games every month.
- Facebook has 1.4 billion active users every day.
- It also hasover 2.41 billion users every month.
Despite some recent studies that say Facebook is starting to decline, the platform developed by Mark Zuckerberg is still number 1 in terms of popularity. The average time spent on Facebook is close to an hour daily, which is pretty good for a “declining” website.
1.4 billion people log in to Facebook on a daily basis, which is quite impressive. Furthermore, can you imagine the number of videos being uploaded every day – 8 billion? Тhat’s more than you can watch during the course of your whole life.
5. The average viewing session on YouTube is 40 minutes.
(Source: Broadband Search)
- YouTube has 30 million active users daily.
- People watch 5 billion videos a day on YouTube.
- There are 1.5 billion active users every month on the platform.
- YouTube has 15 million content creators, and the number is growing every day.
YouTube may be the second most popular social media platform, but it’s way behind Facebook. However, the big advantage YouTube has is the average length of visits. It’s just so hard to control yourself and not watch 10 videos in a row.
All these hours spent on social media may not be a complete waste of time, as well. After all, there are tons of educational videos on YouTube, so you can actually learn a lot.
Question time: How much time did the average person spend on social media in 2018?
According to time spent on social media statistics, people used 142 minutes of their everyday routines to stay on social media, which is great news for those advertising their business on one of the platforms.
6. 58% of people use Facebook Messenger on a monthly basis.
(Source: Global Web Index)
- It’s expected that by 2022 there will be 138.1 million Messenger users.
- More than 38.4% of the US population is currently using Messenger.
- Messenger is the second most popular iOS app of all time – only the main Facebook app surpasses it.
Facebook Messenger is one of the most popular apps of all time. It has 1.3 billion monthly users and 70 million daily users. One of its biggest competitors, WeChat, boasts 1 billion active users a month.
People around the world accommodate thousands of hours spent on social media and other apps. The Messenger app of Facebook is a top choice to spend those hours in countries like the USA, Australia, UK, and France.
Question time: How much time do teens spend on social media?
Teens spend an average of nine hours a day online. A lot of teens admit they overdo their time on social media. Kids aged 8 to 12 spend an average of 6 hours daily, which is still too much.
7. In 2018, users spent an average of 53 minutes daily on Instagram.
- 73% of US internet users aged 13 to 24 are on Instagram.
- By 2020, Instagram is expected to reach 120.3 million monthly active users in the US.
- In 1 second there are 870 Instagram photos uploaded, in 60 seconds – 49,380 photos.
- There are about 25 million business profiles on Instagram. If you’re planning to open yours, too, make sure you have a good business plan software and quality lead generation services at your disposal.
Statistics on time spent on social media indicate the youngest tend to be Instagram fanatics. Around four-fifths of Americans, aged 13 to 24 are on Instagram, and globally 64% of people between 18-29 use this social media.
For comparison, 21% of Instagram users are aged 50-64 and only 10% are 65 years or older. All in all, this means it’s a social media with a youth audience, so remember that whenever you’re trying to engage potential customers.
Six Degrees is widely considered to be the first social media platform. It was created back in 1996 by Andrew Weinreich and the site was launched the following year. Six Degrees combined popular features we know today like creating a profile, adding friends, etc.
A couple of similar websites emerged in the next decade. Myspace was launched in 2003 – the same year LinkedIn came to existence – and was the largest social networking site in the world from 2005 to 2008. Kudos to those who remember it and used it back then.
In June 2006, Myspace even surpassed Google as the most visited website in the United States. How much time do people spend on social media wasn’t even a question back then, and the idea of 63,000 searches per minute was simply unimaginable.
But times changed. Facebook came in 2008 and basically killed the platform, which is now ranked 4,153th by total web traffic.
8. Twitter has 330 million monthly active users.
- During the 2014 FIFA World Cup Final, 618,725 tweets were sent in a single minute.
- A brand was mentioned in a tweet by 80% of Twitter users.
- The 140 million tweets posted daily would fill a 10 million page book.
- There are currently more than 1.3 billion registered users on the platform.
Do you tweet or do you leave it to the birds? Currently, more than 330 million people use Twitter every month, although the figures dropped compared to mid-2018 and late 2017.
Social media time people spend on Twitter is an average of 1-minute per day, but don’t let that fool you. Twitter is a very influential social media. According to a 2018 study, 187 governments and heads of state maintain an official presence on Twitter.
9. As of March 2019, Snapchat reached 90% of all 13-24 year-olds and 75% of all 13-34-year-olds in the US.
- The average number of Snaps created every day grew to more than 3.5 billion in Q2 2019.
- 10 billion videos are being watched on Snapchat every day.
- Snapchat has 178 million daily active users.
- 24% of US social media users are on Snapchat.
It may be a challenge for Snapchat to penetrate older demographics. The main users are currently between 13 and 34 years, with people under the age of 25 spending the most time on Snapchat.
So, it may not be the biggest social media out there, but it’s definitely very popular with teens and young adults. It’s astonishing how much time do teens spend on social media, Snapchat in particular.
10. WhatsApp has 1 billion daily active users.
(Source: Business of Apps)
- 43 billion messages are sent every day on WhatsApp.
- The biggest WhatsApp market is in India, with more than 200 million users.
- 23 million Americans use WhatsApp.
- WhatsApp was acquired by Facebook for $19 billion in 2014.
India has the highest average time spent on social media, amounting to 17 hours per week. A large proportion of that time is spent on WhatsApp. The platform grew in popularity very fast among India’s youth.
WhatsApp is the most popular messaging app in the world with 1.5 billion users in 180 countries.
Question time: How many hours should you spend on social media?
The amount of time spent on social media should be kept to a golden standard. Volunteers cut down their social media use to 30 minutes per day total, they experienced a “significant improvement in well-being,” exhibiting reduced loneliness and depression.
11. LinkedIn has over 575 million users.
- The US has the most LinkedIn users at 133 million.
- LinkedIn is 277% more effective at generating leads than Facebook and Twitter, especially if you know when to post.
- LinkedIn drives more than 50% of social traffic to B2B sites and is considered the most credible source of content.
Are you looking for a job? Log in to LinkedIn. Are you looking to recruit? Log in to LinkedIn. Do you want a sandwich? Just a joke, but you get the point.
LinkedIn was created way back in 2003 and came a long way to become what it is right now. Time spent on social media can be very useful on LinkedIn, especially for businesses and job seekers.
12. Pinterest has 175 million active monthly users.
(Source: Skills Lab)
- 50% of US millennials use Pinterest every month. So if it makes sense for your line of business, use this piece of Millennial marketing info.
- 80% of Pinterest users prefer to use the app over the desktop version.
- More than 14 million articles are Pinned each day.
Social media time on Pinterest is really important for millennials. In fact, they say Pinterest inspires them to turn their dreams to reality, more so than any other platform.
Around 63% of millennials also admit Pinterest helps them discover new brands or products. They also use the platform to make purchases.
It’s worth noting that most of the average time spent on this social media comes from mobile devices. Actually, only 20% of people use the desktop version of Pinterest.
13. Almost 4 out of 10 internet users in July 2020 reported being on social media platforms more than before the pandemic.
(Global Web Index)
- 1 out of 7 surveyed individuals reported posting more on social media than pre-pandemic.
- In July 2020, 70% of internet users said they used smartphones more than at the beginning of the covid-19 pandemic.
- 47% of surveyed people reported using computers/laptops more than in March of the same year.
To show you that people in other parts of the world are as well more present in the online world, we found that 46% of UK individuals who took a survey used smartphones more than in the pre-pandemic period.
To summarize how much time people do spend on social media – it’s an average of 2 hours and 22 minutes per day. The average time spent on social media in 2019 is around 153 minutes per day. This trend may suggest people are beginning to depend on social media, so it’s only expected many therapy sessions will be dedicated to this issue in the years to come.
Now that you know this information, maybe you can cut your social media time a bit and go for a good old-fashioned walk. Just leave your mobile at home, no distractions are needed.
59% of the world's population uses social media. The average daily usage is 2 hours and 29 minutes (July 2022).How much time is enough for social media? ›
According to the Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology , it is recommended to use social media for 30 minutes per day for better physical and mental health. The study also suggests that it is better to distribute your time between three apps, so that you can maintain engagement and not lose out.What percentage of people use social media 2022? ›
Analysis from Kepios shows that there are 4.74 billion social media users around the world in October 2022, equating to 59.3 percent of the total global population.Which country spends most time on social media 2022? ›
Currently, the country with the most time spent on social media per day is the Philippines, with online users spending an average of three hours and 53 minute on social media each day.Are people spending less time on social media 2022? ›
People are spending more time on their favorite social media channels than ever before. In fact, the average American spends 147 minutes on social media per day. While Facebook remains the most popular social media channel, the site experienced its first decline in average daily users last year.How many hours does a Filipino spend on social media 2022? ›
Meanwhile, 4.06 hours were spent using social media on average daily. Other online activities of Filipino internet users include watching television and listening to music streaming services.How much time do you spend on social media and why? ›
According to the latest data, the average amount of time spent on social media worldwide is set to hit 147 minutes, or two hours and 27 minutes, a day in 2022. Not only is this a two-minute increase on 2021 numbers, but it is also the highest ever recorded.How much time do students spend on social media? ›
The typical student spends about half that amount of time—between 1 and 2 hours—on social media (37% of respondents) and streaming video (36% of respondents). About a third of students (32%) spend less than 1 hour per day on other online activities.What will the biggest social media trends be in 2022? ›
The biggest anticipated changes are the rise of TikTok and short-form video content. While Instagram and Twitter will continue to be important (especially to B2B businesses), 2022 might just be the year for smaller networks like Pinterest and Snapchat. Oh, and social commerce is a must for eCommerce businesses.Why do people use social media 2022? ›
According to a recent survey, the biggest reason people use social media is to keep in touch with their friends and family. As many as 47 percent of internet users list this as one of their top uses of social media. This is no surprise, considering that's exactly what the purpose of social media is.
Social media usage is one of the most popular online activities. In 2021, over 4.26 billion people were using social media worldwide, a number projected to increase to almost six billion in 2027.How much time does a teenager spend on social media? ›
On average, daily screen use went up among tweens (ages 8 to 12) to five hours and 33 minutes from four hours and 44 minutes, and to eight hours and 39 minutes from seven hours and 22 minutes for teens (ages 13 to 18).How much time do people spend online? ›
On average, internet users worldwide spent 415.5 minutes every day online in 2021. In comparison, the current 2022 average is 403 minutes—12.5 minutes less.How much time does the average person spend on their phone 2022? ›
Time Spent Using Smartphones in 2022
According to recent data, the average person spends 3 hours and 15 minutes on their phone each day. And 1 in 5 smartphone users spends upwards of 4.5 hours on average on their phones every day.
He adds, "The researchers further found that they could obtain smaller, but still significant improvements in depression and anxiety by having users simply reduce the time they spend on Twitter and TikTok. The biggest effects, however, came from full abstention."Is social media time wasting? ›
Spending too much time on social media has become a problem, especially among the youth. It not only takes away time that you could use for other jobs but can also take a toll on your mental health at times.How much time do Filipino students spend on social media? ›
Filipinos spend the most time online and on social media at almost 11 hours per day—study • l! fe • The Philippine Star.How many people in the Philippines are using social media in 2022? ›
|Characteristic||Number of users in millions|
As of 2021, the Philippines has the highest social media usage rate in the world and their internet use is 60% higher than the average, at 11 hours a day! That's staggering online time. And it's been that way for the past few years. On social media, Filipinos spend an average of 4 hours and 15 minutes every day.Why do students spend so much time on social media? ›
Social media can act as an escape from the real world. If a teenager is stressed, sad, or even depressed, they may turn to social media to forget their problems, even if it is only for a couple of hours.
- Stay up to date with news and current events, 36.5%
- Find funny or entertaining content, 35%
- Fill up spare time, 34.4%
- Stay in touch with what my friends are doing, 33%
- Share photos or videos with others, 27.9%
- Research products to buy, 27.5%
Billions of people around the world use social media to share information and make connections. On a personal level, social media allows you to communicate with friends and family, learn new things, develop your interests, and be entertained.What are benefits of social media? ›
- Build relationships. Social media is not just about brands connecting with their customers. ...
- Share your expertise. Social media gives you an opportunity to talk about what you know and what you want to be known for. ...
- Increase your visibility. ...
- Educate yourself. ...
- Connect anytime.
The impact has been strongly felt in the usage of mobiles, social media & TV. According to data published by JAMA Pediatrics, screen time among teens doubled from 3.8 hours per day to 7.7 hours.Do teenagers spend too much time on social media? ›
Long story short, they're probably on social media too much
According to the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, teens are online almost nine hours a day — and that doesn't even include their homework time. As you can probably guess, that amount of time is way too long.
The American Academy of Pediatrics discourages media use by children younger than 2 and recommends limiting older children's screen time to no more than one or two hours a day.How much time do people spend consuming media? ›
In 2021, the average time spent on traditional media was forecast at five and a half hours. This number is expected to further decrease to five hours and 18 minutes in 2022.How much time does the average student spend online? ›
As Figure 1 shows, the majority of students (almost 60 percent) spent between one and five hours on online social network websites in a typical week during their first college year. Nine percent reported that they spent more than ten hours a week on them.What country uses social media the least? ›
According to research on 46 nations with internet users aged between 16 to 64, Japan had the lowest overall number of social media accounts at 3.8, while India had the highest at 11.5 per user.What is the future of social media 2022? ›
The biggest anticipated changes are the rise of TikTok and short-form video content. While Instagram and Twitter will continue to be important (especially to B2B businesses), 2022 might just be the year for smaller networks like Pinterest and Snapchat. Oh, and social commerce is a must for eCommerce businesses.
US adults will spend 13 hours and 11 minutes (13:11) per day with media in 2022, slightly less than last year (13:13).How often should you post on social media 2022? ›
It is generally recommended to post 1 time per day, and no more than 2 times per day. In fact, some studies have even found a drop in engagement if you're posting more than that… so don't get too post-happy. Aim for quality over quantity. The average Facebook Page shares 1.55 posts per day.How much time do people spend on their phones 2022? ›
Time Spent Using Smartphones in 2022
According to recent data, the average person spends 3 hours and 15 minutes on their phone each day. And 1 in 5 smartphone users spends upwards of 4.5 hours on average on their phones every day.
Billions of people around the world use social media to share information and make connections. On a personal level, social media allows you to communicate with friends and family, learn new things, develop your interests, and be entertained.Will social media Keep Growing? ›
What is changing? In the coming years social media will grow exponentially. Growth will come primarily from the rapidly expanding online and mobile user bases in emerging markets. Individuals will be highly connected through mobile technology and social media.How do I grow my social media following 2022? ›
- Go Live More Often. ...
- Get Your Audience Involved. ...
- Don't Overlook Micro-influencers. ...
- Prioritize Community Engagement. ...
- Start Using TikTok. ...
- Try Pinterest Ads. ...
- Consider Social Media Customer Service. ...
- Stick to Short Videos.
“Communication in the future will be built on the foundation started by what is today called social media, but it will look much different. The most dramatic change by 2039 will not only be the amount of data that will be available to everyone but also the decision-making power of that data.What is the average screen time per day 2022? ›
Average Screen Time Stats 2022
Globally, people average 6 hours 58 minutes of screen time per day. Daily screen time has increased by nearly 50 minutes per day since 2013. The average American spends 7 hours and 4 minutes looking at a screen each day.
At the end of the day, pediatricians say that waiting until 13 to give children cellphones is a good rule to follow as a general guideline, but since “parents know their children and their level of maturity and ability to handle a cellphone the best ... that takes precedence over general recommendations,” according to ...What age do most kids get a phone 2022? ›
According to Pew Research, 95 percent of teens between 13 and 17 already report having access to a smartphone. In the past, some experts suggested waiting until eighth grade.