Textile Engineering and Fibre Science is one of the most challenging and primary fields of engineering. Itdeals with the application of scientific and engineering principles to the design and control of all aspects of fiber, textile, and apparel processes, products, and machinery.
The syllabus of Textile Engineering and Fibre Science is divided into 5 major sections namelyTextile Fibers, Yarn Manufacture, Fabric Manufacture, Textile Testing, and Chemical Processing. Other than these topics candidates also have to prepare for Engineering Mathematics and General Aptitude sections. 70% weightage will be given to subject specific questions and 15% to maths & general aptitude questions. Check GATE Exam Pattern
Candidates are advised to go through the syllabus, exam pattern, preparation tips, reference books in the article below to get a better idea about GATE TF exam.
Must Read: Preparation Tips from GATE Topper
Engineering Mathematics Syllabus
GATE Syllabus TF – Engineering Mathematics
Engineering mathematics is a branch of applied mathematics concerning mathematical methods and techniques that are typically used in engineering and industry. It is also called Technomathematics. The syllabus of this section is:
|Linear Algebra||Matrices and Determinants, Systems of linear equations, Eigenvalues and eigenvectors.|
|Vector Calculus||Gradient; Divergence and Curl; Line; surface and volume integrals; Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.|
|Calculus||Limit, continuity and differentiability; Partial Derivatives; Maxima and minima; Sequences and series; Test for convergence; Fourier series.|
|Differential Equations||Linear and non-linear first order ODEs; Higher order linear ODEs with constant coefficients; Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations; Laplace transforms; PDEs –Laplace, heat and wave equations.|
|Probability and Statistics||Mean, median, mode and standard deviation; Random variables; Poisson, normal and binomial distributions; Correlation and regression analysis.|
|Numerical Methods||Solutions of linear and nonlinear algebraic equations; integration of trapezoidal and Simpson’s rule; single and multi-step methods for differential equations.|
Important Topics of Verbal Ability
- Spelling, Grammar, Sentence Completion, Pair of related words, Synonyms, Antonyms, and Verbal Deductions.
Model GATE Questions of Engineering Mathematics and General Aptitude
- Next Term in the series: 81, 54, 36, 21, ________?
- Clock Problem: At what time between 6 and 7 will the minute and hour hand of making an angleclosest to 60 degrees?
- Direction and Distance Problem: X is 1Km northeast of Y. Y is 1Km southeast of Z. W is 1Km west of Z. P is south of W. Q is 1Km east of P. What is the distance between X and Q in Km?
- Sentence Completion: A person is suffering from Alzheimer's disease __________ short term memory loss?
Weightage ofEngineering Mathematics and General Aptitude Sections
|Synonyms and Antonyms||3|
Textile Engineering Syllabus
GATE Syllabus – Textile Engineering and Fibre Science
The syllabus of textile engineering is divided into 5 major sections. The weight of this section is 70% and candidates are advised to focus more on this section.
- Section 1:Textile Fibers
- Section 2:Yarn manufacture, Yarn structure, and Properties
- Section 3:Fabric manufacture, Structure, and Properties
- Section 4:Textile Testing
- Section 5:Chemical processing
Direct link to download GATE Textile Engineering and Fibre Sciences (TF) syllabusPDF
Important Topics inTextile Engineering and Fibre Science
Candidates can have a look at a few sample questions and the weightage of the topics based on previous years' papers.
- Sample Question 1: A filament yarn of 300 deniers is being spun at a take-up speed of 900 m/min. Assuming the density of the melt as 1.2 g/cm3, the throughput speed (cm3 /min) at the spinneret would be _____________?
- Sample Question 2: The delivery rate of a roving machine is 20 m/min. Assuming the flyer speed as 1000 rpm, inner diameter of the flyer top as 1 cm, a diameter of roving as 2.5 mm, and the slippage between the flyer top and roving as 50 %, the false twist (turns/m) in the roving above the flyer is _____________?
- Sample Question 3:Warp and weft yarns with diameters of 0.4 mm and 0.6 mm, respectively, are used to produce plain woven fabric with end spacing of 0.8 mm and pick spacing of 1.2 mm. Assuming the degree of flattening to be 0.8 in both warp and weft yarns, the approximate fabric cover would be ______________?
|Principles of Weft & Warp Knitting||10|
|Yarn manufacture, Yarn structure, and Properties||15|
|Sampling Techniques and Errors||8|
|Motion of Loom, Cam Design, and Kinematics of Sley||10|
Check How to Get Admission in IIT Madras?
GATE TF Exam PatternGATE Textile Engineering and Fibre Science Exam Pattern
Textile Engineering and Fibre Science syllabus consist of - Engineering Mathematics, General Aptitude, and Textile Engineering and Fibre Science.
- Paper is held in online mode (Computer Based Test).
- The question paper consists of 65 questions worth 100 marks.
- Students have to attempt all the questions in the duration of 3 hours.
|GATE TF Sectional Weightage|
|Remaining Topics of CH||70%|
|Type of Question||Correct Answer||Incorrect Answer|
|MCQ||1 or 2 Marks||⅓for 1 mark questions⅔ for 2 marks questions|
|NAT||1 or 2 Marks||No Negative Marking|
GATE TF Reference Books
GATE TF Important Books
Books for Engineering Mathematics
|Book Name||Author||ISBN Number|
|Higher Engineering Mathematics||B.S. Grewal||8174091955, 978-8174091956|
|A Textbook of Engineering Mathematics||N P Bali and Dr. Manish Goyal||8131808327, 978-8131808320|
|Engineering Mathematics||Sastry S.S||8120337050, 978-8120337053|
|Mathematical Methods for Scientists & Engineers||Donald A. McQuarrie||8130909979, 978-8130909974|
Books for Textile Engineering And Fibre Science
|Book Name||Author||ISBN Number|
|Advanced Engineering Mathematics||Erwin Kreyszig||9788126554232, 8126554231|
|Developments in Science and Technology||Kalpana Rajaram||9788179305461, 8179305465|
|Textile Processing and Properties||Vigo TL Vigo Vigo||9780444882240, 0444882243|
How to Prepare for GATE TF?
How to Prepare for GATE TF Paper?
Sometimes most of the candidates forget to incorporate some of the important points in their preparation plan or sometimes it is difficult for candidates to find the right starting point. For all those candidates we have prepared a few preparation tips that will them in building a good preparation strategy. And the first and foremost preparation tip is to know your syllabus and exam pattern which is mentioned above in detail. After readingthat candidatescan have a look at some of the best preparation tips:
1. Short and Long Term Study Plan
Candidates can divide their preparation plan as short term and long term study plan. The implementation of any of the plans is totally based on the choice and comfort of candidates.
- In short term study plan: Candidates can include revision, practice previous year papers, taking the mock tests, etc after the completion of each major topic. This will help them in judging their weaker and stronger points at an early stage of preparations. Candidates can also predict their rank using GATE Rank Predictor
- In long term study plan:Candidates can go for final revision, mock test, online test, etc only once that is after the completion of the whole syllabus.
2. Division of Time
We have created a time table for you by taking into consideration thatmost of the candidates spend an average of 5-6 hours daily to prepare for the exam.
|Time Allotment||Activities to Do|
|5:00 AM to 8:00 AM||Pen down the important topics and scan all the important points|
|8:00 AM to 10:00 AM||Take a Break|
|10:00 AM to 1:00 PM||Pick up a Major Topic|
|1:00 PM to 5:00 PM||Take a Break|
|6:00 PM to 9:00 PM||Go through all the topics that you have covered in the day or you can also continue with the preparation of Major Topic|
|10:00 PM||A quick go through of the Notes and try to sleep early|
3. Cover the Basics and MaintainConsistency
- Candidates are advised to start from the basic concepts. Make your base strong enough so that you can cover the difficult topics easily.
- Consistency plays an important role in your preparation. Without it, you will not be able to achieve any of your goals. Stick to your time table and first go for the major topics only.
4. Online Test, Mock Test Series, and Video Lectures
Taking the online tests or mock test is one of the important steps of your preparation plan. Themock test will help you boost up your confidence level as it gives the feel of the real exam. With the help of an online test, you will be able to judge your strong and week points and you can prepare for your weaker sections again. Candidates can also take help from video lectures. The benefits of video lectures are:
- Easy to access anytime or anywhere.
- Learning atone place.
- Chances of getting valuable information.
- Information about an easy approach to difficult topics.
5. Previous Years Practice Papers
- Previous years' papers are handy and you can go through them n number of times.
- You can observe the trend of questions asked in the past 2-3 years and prepare according to that.
- Practice papershelp you prepare for your exams in the long run.
Download GATE Previous Years Papers of TF
Syllabus of other Papers
GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is a national level exam which is conducted for admission to M.Tech and Ph.D. programs. There are 25papers in GATE. The exam pattern and syllabus of every paper is different. Candidates can check the complete syllabus of other papers from the links given below.
From the information provided above, it can be concluded that GATE is a very important exam and with a good score, candidates can have a good future. If candidates follow the syllabus in combination with preparation tips then they can definitely score high. The strategy of candidates will also depend or vary based on their current preparation levels.But whatever be the case candidates should implementan effective preparation plan.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, please refer the official website of the exam.